The "D" license/certificate is a mid-level course and is mandatory for all TN competitive head coaches in division 2 (D2). This is a 36-hour combined field and classroom instruction with coaching and teaching methodology built up from the E course. This course is broken down to 2 main parts (Part 1 and Part 2). You can get your National "D" License or "D" Certificate at this course.
Part 1: The 1st weekend event has 5 pre course lesson plans which follow the E license that will need to be completed in able to attend this 1st weekend of the D course. Part 1 weekend also has lecture and field sessions.
In-between Part 1 and Part 2: Coaches perform another 5 lesson plans before attending the part 2.
(There is a mandatory 10 weeks that candidates must take between part 1 and part 2 to allow for the lesson plans to be completed and to work on what was learned during part 1)
Part 2: The second section of the D course has lectures and field sessions followed with field testing on the last day.
- Intermediate stage of Athlete Development
- Team management
- Coaching technique
- Coaching tactics
- Principles of play in a training environment (7v7 to 9v9)
- Principles of play to functional group roles in a full team system
- Plan a sequence of training and weekly cycles to complete a season plan
- Match analysis
- Systems of play
Course Length: 36 hours of instruction + 6 hours of pre-course work
- 17 hour classroom
- 19 hour field
- Candidates will receive National "D" License, "D" Certificate or Not Ready (must take course again)
- It takes about 1 week to receive your results and two weeks to get paperwork back.
- Candidates receiving a "D" Certificate grade will be allowed to re-test for the National "D" License after a six month waiting period.
- Please go to "D" re-test for more specific information on the overview page
- Must wait a minimum of 6 months before being able to re-test
- "E" License
- Minimum age – 18 years old
- Pre-course assignments are 5 specific lesson plans that must be completed and turned in two week prior to the course. For assignments click here
- Free for current registered TSSA members
- Non-Members are $70
"D" License FAQ’s from USSF
It is mandatory for head coaches coaching Division 2 (D2) to have this license.
To see a list of available TN coaching courses, click here.
To go back to the TN coaching education program overview page, click here.